Last Updated: November 11, 2020
If you choose to apply to one (or more) of our Compact schools, your information will be securely shared with them. We never share or sell your information to unrelated third parties. Service members must authorize the Compact school to release and forward course enrollment information required under the Memoranda of Understanding to the Department of Defense before DOD will approve course enrollment using Tuition Assistance.
MLN agrees to comply with the privacy regulations outlined in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), 20 U.S.C § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99, in handling student information. No party shall disclose or use any student information except to the extent necessary to carry out their obligations under this Agreement and as permitted by FERPA, or as required by applicable laws. MLN will protect student privacy in a professional manner with reasonable care, adhering to applicable laws, academic and industry standards.
Student Educational Records
Students may place a FERPA Hold on their educational records to prevent the release of the records. This “hold” does not apply under a subpoena or court order.
Information We May Collect
The types of information we capture may vary based on your interactions with the MLN website. We may collect:
- Name, contact information, or online identifiers like IP address
- Internet or electronic activity
- Geolocation data
- Audio, video or other electronic data
- Biometric information (with your approval)
Should you apply to one of our Compact schools, we may also collect:
- Employment information
- Education information
- Protected classification information such as race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, and citizenship
How This Information Is Used
MLN may use the information collected to:
- Respond to your request(s) for more information via phone, email or text message
- Deliver content you may find of interest after visiting our site
- Connect you with an Advisor and/or one (or more) Compact Schools to begin the admissions process (application, enrollment, registration), learn about financial aid, etc. The schools will provide course enrollment, withdrawal, cancellation, and grades; degree status or completion information; and handle billing under the DOD’s Voluntary Education Tuition Assistance program.
- Submit past work history/skills/education for prior learning assessment
- Provide support and services throughout the education process
- Personalize the content and experiences we deliver to you, which could include providing email updates, text or other communications
- Compile summary (not personally identifiable) information about usage of the website and/or effectiveness of our advertising programs. This data may be shared with third parties.
- Contact you regarding becoming a Compact school
- Adhere to legal guidelines, including taking action to prevent misconduct
- Support/improve business operations and secure our assets
How We May Share Information (Categories)
We may share your personal information, as follows:
- Third-Party Service Providers. Third-party service providers are used in the course of conducting our business and may include consultants, auditors, customer service and education support providers.
- Education Partners. Your information may be shared with our Compact schools or other education partners who deliver services to you.
- Advertisers or Other Third Parties. We may engage third-parties to conduct advertising or marketing on our behalf. These third-parties may access usage data to measure campaign effectiveness and deliver a better online experience over time and across devices.
- Course of Business. MLN may disclose or transfer personal information and records as part of a potential sale of the business or merger with another firm (due diligence), actual sale or merger, financing, restructuring, or bankruptcy. This may also include protecting MLN’s rights to enforce contractual agreements, fraud prevention, and similar actions.
- Legally Required. Information will be disclosed based on legal requirements such as subpoenas or court orders.
- FERPA Requirements. We may disclose your personal information as permitted under FERPA.
Social Networking Information
We may utilize your social network profile information and activity directly or as part of our cross-device tracking. You may change various user settings related to sharing your personal information contained in any user profile you set up as part of social network activities furnished by us, subject to contractual, academic, legal, or technical restrictions and reasonable notice. Note that your withdrawal from social network activities might prevent us from providing you with certain products or services.
MLN has made every reasonable effort to protect against the loss or misuse of personal information we handle, however no methods of online data transmission are 100% secure. As such, we do not guarantee against the loss, alteration, or misuse of personal information. You provide this information to us at your own risk.
Third Party Sites and Links
We may include third-party links on our website and/or social media platforms. These third-parties may collect your personal information for their own purposes. We recommend you read their privacy policies carefully.
Direct Collection of Personal Information
Information about you may be gathered directly from you (online or offline) via forms, surveys, learning assessment, social network profile or application, contests, information requests, and applications; third parties; and automatically through use of our services and interactions (cookies, pixels, third party tags, scripts, log files, and other ways to automatically collect info). Information may be combined from different sources.
Information Collected from Other Sources. We may gather information from education partners, service providers, other third parties, and publicly available sources, which could be added to other personal information (i.e., we obtain information about you from educational institutions you attended; financial institutions for student loans; government entities in regards to grants or the DoD programs; employers for prior learning credit; other platforms or accounts that you integrate into our services; organizations that we work with to verify, update, or adjust data we have assembled for you; third parties we partner with to identify prospective students or dependents who may be interested in our services; and other third parties necessary for us to provide our services.
Disclosing Personal Information
We are required to share with you categories of personal information based on privacy laws (such as the CCPA).
Business Purposes. Compact schools, education partners and service providers may receive the following types of personal information to support your education experience, career goals and for other business purposes:
- Name, contact information, and other identifiers
- Consumer records
- Protected classifications
- Commercial information
- Biometric information
- Internet or other electronic network activity information
- Geolocation data
- Audio, video, and other electronic data
- Employment history
- Education information
- Inferences drawn from any of above
Sale of Personal Information.
We do ever sell your personal information. We do disclose or make available to third parties information so we may receive certain services, such as when we allow tags to collect information such as your browsing history when using our services, to improve and measure our ad campaigns.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
You may block or disable cookies for the device and browser you are using, through your browser settings; however, certain website features may not be available or function properly if you block or disable cookies.
Do-Not-Track Signals. You may set your browser to show that you do not want to be tracked online. Learn more about do-not-track signals, please click here.) MLN services may not respond to web browser based DNT signals. You may, however, disable certain cookies and opt out of interest-based advertising.
Cross-device Tracking. We may also use device information, in things like mobile ads, to send our advertising and measure effectiveness. One tool we may use is the Adobe Experience Cloud Device Co-op which assists us in seeing how users access MLN across devices so we may personalize your user experience by device. Your name, email and other details will not be shared with other co-op participants, but we may collect device info when you visit or use our services. Info may be related to your browsing history, identifiers, and demographic data which helps us personalize and provide relevant ads. To learn more about Adobe’s Experience Cloud Device Co-op please click here.
You may opt out of receiving marketing communications by emailing us at email@example.com or contacting us by mail at:
Military Learners Now
PO Box 98892
Raleigh, NC 27624
Email: Follow the opt-out instructions in the footer of any marketing email we send you.
Phone. Express your choice during the call.
Text. Opt-out by responding STOP to cancel future text messages. To get help, text HELP. You may also get additional support or help by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Marketing opt-out requests will only remove you from our list(s) and the list(s) of any service provider performing services on our behalf, not from the list of any third party.
California Privacy Law
If you are a resident of California, the CCPA gives you some additional rights and limits how businesses use your personal data:
Initial Notice: California residents must be notified at or before the point of collection of the categories of personal information is collected and the purposes for which such categories are used.
Verifiable Requests to Delete and Requests to Know: California residents may request the following (subject to exemptions) at no charge:
Request to Delete: California residents have the right to request certain personal information collected about them be deleted, except where exemptions apply.
Request to Know: California residents may request (subject to certain exemptions) to receive a copy of the personal information MLN has collected about them in the prior 12 months. This information will be provided at no charge either by mail or electronically in a portable format (when feasible) that may be provided to and used by another entity. California residents also have the right to request that we share information about how we have handled their personal information in the prior 12 months. This includes:
- Categories of personal information collected and the categories of sources;
- Our business purpose(s) for collecting and selling their personal information;
- Categories of third parties with whom we have shared their personal information;
- Categories of personal information that we have disclosed or shared with a third party for a business purpose;
- Categories of third parties to whom the residents’ personal information has been sold and the specific categories of personal information sold to each category of third party.
Discrimination & Incentives: The CCPA prohibits discrimination against those who exercise their rights under the CCPA. Should MLN choose to offer financial incentives for the collection, sale or deletion of personal information, California residents will be notified of the financial incentives and their terms and given the right to opt-in. California residents who opt-in may opt-out of these incentives at any time.
Questions about our privacy practices? Email us at email@example.com or mail us at:
Military Learners Now
PO Box 98892
Raleigh, NC 27624